Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Contents of a Blueberry

Kyan just has a way about him.
He has confidence.
He has charisma.
He has authority.
He has no clue he's only 4 years old.

This morning Kyan chose to have blueberries for breakfast.
No cereal.
No toast.
No strawberries.
Blueberries.

So anyway, I'm going along minding my own, washing that pot I just couldn't bring myself to tackle last night when Kyan asks, "Mom, what's in a blueberry?"

My first response, "Good stuff".

He objects with a simple "no". After a few moments, he continues through gritted teeth, "Mom, it's squishy. See? I pinch it like this." His nose is wrinkled like he's lifting a boulder.

I don't know if you've ever looked inside a blueberry, until today I hadn't. For those of you who are curious, the inside of Kyan's blueberry looked like that boogery gunk inside a grape.

I decide to respond with something that might be a little educational. "That's where the blueberry keeps all it's nutrients so you stay healthy."

"No," he responds, matter-of-factly. Now he's rubbing the contents of his blueberry between his thumb and index finger.

Deflated, I simply answer, "It's blueberry goop, Ky."

He looks at me, shaking his head as if I'm completely ignorant, and ends the exchange, "No. No mom, it's not. It's just... goop," and runs away.

So there you have it, kids, the contents of a blueberry...goop.

No comments:

Post a Comment